November 18, 2012 Leave a comment
The most important part of your entire affiliate marketing business is to wrap up the necessary preparation work before you begin “doing business” on the Internet will, of course, delay your grand opening. But it’s important that you take your time to prepare well now. Then there’ll be nothing to repair or repeat once you launch. You’ll just roar ahead!
Most people fail in any business because they don’t plan adequately. That’s three times as true for an Internet business and five times as true for what you are about to do.
If you pick the wrong concept, if you develop the wrong topics, if you pick the wrong affiliate programs… you’ll get the wrong results.
So many small businesses fail to start at the beginning with Content. Instead, they start at the end with Monetization.
The hardest part, where 98% of small businesses fail, is in attracting Traffic, the visitors who convert into income. Yet many start with the cash register!
What you are about to read is likely a radical departure from what you have been doing. Take your time and read carefully. Receive the key to becoming an Affiliate Marketing Superstar.
Back to real-time preparation. You have already started your journey in the right direction by completing the first preparatory step, the foundation for all future actions…
Brainstorm a high-potential idea. Discover the best Site Concepts for you. Then narrow them down to the one with the most potential. Remember… it takes just as much time to build a low-potential business as a high-potential one. So invest the time now to maximize your returns later.
Everyone, absolutely everyone, has a special interest… a passion. Everyone knows something that is of value to others… something that others on the Internet seek.
Passion makes work fun and easy…
• What is it that you love to talk about? Read about?
• What is your hobby?
• What do you do for fun and games?
• What are your natural talents?
Don’t forget to look right under your nose…
• What special body of knowledge have you learned from your job?
• What do you do day after day, without even thinking about it (ex., child-rearing, taking care of sick parents, renovation contractor, customs inspector).
Think about what you do in a typical day, and what you’ve learned from it…
• What sections of a bookstore or a magazine shop do you automatically gravitate toward?
• What kind of TV shows do you tend to like most? Movies?
What activities do you enjoy most about your current occupation?
• Is it research?
• Helping customers achieve their goals?
• Managing other people?
• Teaching or explaining things to others?
• Talking/selling on the phone?
• Organizing things?
• Making a process easier?
• Discovering or creating new products or services?
• Marketing products?
Problems are also a good source for ideas because problems need solutions!…
• What bugs you?
• What’s tedious?
• What does not work?…
We all encounter obstacles, problems, and nasty people in the course of whatever it is that we do every day. What are the three biggest problems in your work place? What are your biggest pains as a parent, or as a teacher, or as a gardener, or as a single mom, etc.?
Now repeat all the questions above, except pretend that you are in a “five years ago” time warp. Yes, ask yourself the same questions, except place yourself where you were five years ago. Next, repeat for ten years ago.
Call friends. Ask your kids. Phone your parents or your siblings… or anyone else who can jog your memory. It’s so easy to miss what others see. Your mission, should you decide to accept it, and it is not as easy as it sounds, is to find a subject that you really know and like.
Take your time on this — the final concept will, after all, form the foundation for your affiliate business. So, now that you have read this far, review all the above brain-stimulators with pen and paper (or keyboard) in hand.
Write down concepts as they hit you — make the list as long as you can. Don’t censor yourself. Just write down ideas for Site Concepts as they occur. Next, pick the three concepts that you love the most and that you think would have some appeal for others — this is your “short list” of Site Concepts.
Remember… if a concept really turns you on, you won’t be working. You’ll be playing. So focus on topics that you
• since you really are an expert, you just may succeed in developing tons of Keyword-Focused topics to be able to create lots of high value Keyword-Focused Content Pages about Botticelli. You may end up “owning” this niche. And, while completing the prep work, you may discover…
• a superb art gallery that specializes in Botticelli, but that gets zero Net traffic
• a stock photo service that features a comprehensive selection of Botticelli art
• a Botticelli museum in Florence.
The stock photo service has an affiliate program. You set up a private referral arrangement with the other two. You’re in e-business heaven!
How big should you grow your Site Concept? How much should you change it? Only you can decide. And you’ll be able to do that when you finish…